You saw it here first!

My photo
An (Occasionally) Enthusiastic Bike rider with a penchant for geological stuff, having a good time and utilising my pessimism to it full capacity!

Saturday 16 August 2008

Whaddavidonewrong?

Truly I have been blighted by the gods this last week, attacked by an out-of-control 'Turkey-Owl' who took it upon itself to Front up the wipe-out-a-biker-a-day branch of the 'Divine-Wind' (Owl division) movement, This member of the Strigiformes obviously had a hard night as he leapt out from a church yard I was passing during the day, either that or he had special needs!
Unfortunately for him Thor the God of nasty weather had already booked time for me to be drenched over the next 4 days in the north of England and Borders of Scotland (I think this was due to my having decided to wear my leathers instead of textile biking kit)
This took place whilst doing the East Coast Challenge with the outward bounds division of the Round Britain Rally, we were all camped in Norwich for the week-end which was nice! the Sun did come out on the Sunday so everyone could take their tents down in the dry, I stayed the Sunday night and suffered (See below!)


So on my arrival into Northumberland the heavens opened in time for me to struggle putting up my new larger tent, then it only stopped raining to allow me to get to the shower block and back and in the middle of each trip on the bike, this let me leave in the rain and get back in the rain drying off for 1 or 2 hours in between -how kind!
However the best was saved for a rather miserable walk to a Landmark I had to visit along a stretch of the Solway Firth which was along the ankle deep mud tide line in spectacular rain for about a mile, the up side was the rain was so heavy it washed most of the mud off me!


The rivers were all in flood (nearly every road I drove was flooded or had deep 'run-off' from the fields crossing them) which was a truly special sight if not a bit scary when driving alongside them!

No comments: