You saw it here first!

My photo
An (Occasionally) Enthusiastic Bike rider with a penchant for geological stuff, having a good time and utilising my pessimism to it full capacity!

Sunday 3 August 2008

My final trip to Wales (This Year!)

Stunning weather in Wales?! I did wonder if the Satnav had screwed up again as I crossed the border into Wales but confirmation was not long coming in the form of some undecipherable signposts which I assume were pointing towards towns, villages etc of the same name.

You can't help but be impressed by the quality of the Welsh (& Scottish) tarmac even the farm tracks are relatively smooth, they just beg to be used to there maximum tolerances, so self constraint has to go up a notch here and I've found the best way to curb ones enthusiasm is to soak up the countryside and stop often to bathe in the green & grey spiky geology and stuff.

Strange the temperature variations at my campsite, when I arrived late evening Friday it was hot but cooling down so setting up shop was a pleasant task -other than the over-friendly advances of the local midges- and I was thinking 'how nice! I get to sleep in my super small summer sleeping bag with out having to keep all my kit on'
WRONG!!! it was bloody freezing during the night! the campsite at Rhand#@*~# is in a bowl at the head of a valley; very picturesque and all that but it traps cold air which come of the surrounding hills also the mist stay in the bowl and gets everything wet, however once the sun is up and has burnt through the cloud/mist it's like a oven (a very humid oven)
Still it makes a change from rain.

Trip out on Saturday was good although I got cut off from the bike for 3/4 hour while the gate operator mucked about raising and lowering the plethora of bridges that let boats in and out of the basin at Swansea and into the sea, and it had to be the Swansea Regatta on the day I get there so they all wanted to get out, probably a nice sight when your not wanting to move on.

I also forgot to take a photo of the bike at the Cardiff LM, only noticed after having spoken to Steve on the phone later that day, this just made my Sunday all the better as I had to nip back there and take the picture; which, in view of the good weather and having got all day, made for an extremly pleasant trip home.

No comments: