You saw it here first!

My photo
An (Occasionally) Enthusiastic Bike rider with a penchant for geological stuff, having a good time and utilising my pessimism to it full capacity!

Wednesday 16 July 2008

Motorcycle tyres

Now here's a thing....

Why is it that we bikers accept the cost of our tyres? all a bit fatalistic really isn't it?

I mean we accept that our new rubber is gonna cost approx £220 every 4 - 12k of riding (fine if your a Power Ranger or 'cruiser' rider who's mileage is limited by the weather?!) and that when this meagre mileage is curtailed by a £0.01p nail etc, we will have to replace the tyre, as repairing it is just a bit too risky.

I don't think I've ever seen the Motorcycle press moan about this? they just accept it without question. (which begs another question....)

Why then don't cars have this problem, are the tyres any less technical? or is it that maybe the car press would get uptight about the cost of tyres as they have a larger readership/public who would inundate them with 'enquiries' to find out why they aren't asking the manufacturers about costs.


Answers on a postcard, please to MCN, Bike, Ride, TWO............

1 comment:

Nikos said...

I suppose that we should all be grateful that modern tyres appear to offer grip compared to the Yokohama brown trouser variety that I used 30 years ago. Mind you they went on forever!